Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powder paint vs. vinyl jig paint
you can tell who the lazy one is around here
[center][laugh]-> ME <-[laugh][/center]

I use a bowl of water with a couple ice cubes, dip them in and throw them on a towl... I figure since I wasnt getting the lures hot enough a quick dip wouldnt hurt them. as to weather or not it dose I cant say, I never have them long enough to find out.

other than the hand painted ones. then I use those wire clothes Pins
[signature]
Here is a pic, hopefully below, of my recent endeavors. All the red blades and black bodies are powder paint. Again, not great for the small lures...go figure. Patience is a virtue, so I will be patiently waiting to go into town to pick up some vinyl paint.
[signature]
Hmm,not sure why my attachments aren't loading. Maybe too large?
[signature]
let me know if you need a hand resizing....
[signature]
I tried posting a message with the links on photobucket. Not sure if that will work or not.

And yes, how does one resize? I notice TubeDude's photos are always clear and high resolution, so I shouldn't be my res, but what the heck do I know? If it isn't bleeding or broken, I can't fix it.
[signature]
You have a photo editor,

you just have to figure out wich it is.

right click on your photo and see what programs you can open it in.
[ul] [li]Paint[/li] [li]Microsoft photo editor[/li] [li]kodak[/li][/ul]
any of these will work.
at the top you will find an image button.

there you may have a couple options. stretch/skew or resize.

click on them. you will be given options.

the type of file also makes a differance. Graphics Interchange Format (gif) is the best to use, same picture but the file is smaller. so when done editing for size click file and click save as when the window pops up you will have the option of file type. be sure to select the gif

there are other types, you may need to save them in to a paint file or bitmap file before you can save them in to a gif file.

sounds hard but it realy isnt.

the other types of files are
gif
jpg or jpeg
tif - which edits with kodak
png
pcx which edits with paint brush

they all edit with microsoft photo editor. except the tif file which edits with kodak, once you open it with kodak you can save it as paintbrush file then edit it with any other editor.
[signature]
Do you know much about using an airbrush for spoons and lures? It's something I am kind of interested in, but don't know anything about it. I'm a little artistic, but nothing great.

Do I need a compressed air source, or do those little cans work?

Can I pick up a decent airbrush for a decent price?

Any info. would be helpful, as I think I've been a pretty good boy this year, and I'm currently filling out my wish list [cool]
[signature]
every thing I could say about about air brushes could be done in a few words.

Yes you need an air compressor, the one you need is realy small.

You will want to take time to learn how to clean the paints you plan on using before you start painting.

I am going to refer you to some one who is a master with this equipment. I have seen the quality work air brushes can acheive. [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?username=fish_a_holic;"][#000000][size 1]fish_a_holic[/size][/#000000][/url][size 1] can give you by far better info than I can. [/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]I have wanted one my self for a long time. but for another use. [/size]
[size 1][/size]
Direct your questions to Fish a halic, he will get you streighten away on the how to's and what for's

[size 1]here is a link to the topic for this issue.[/size]
[size 1][/size][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=284603;search_string=dick;#284603"]airbrush[/url] <- Link
[size 1][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[signature]
Man, you guys are the bomb when it comes to this stuff! I'll drop him a line [Smile]
[signature]
Well thank you, not just from me but from every one here,

alone each and every one of our moderators are masters in their own rights, but together we are the best on the net.
[signature]
You're very welcome.

And by the way, yikes! regarding my icon[shocked]

Dunno why it is so big--wasn't that big when I uploaded it...can you help, or should I get rid of it?
[signature]
[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=20046;][/center]
[ul] [li]right click save pic as on to your desktop[/li] [li]click on edit profile at the top of the page[/li] [li]click user profile[/li] [li]scroll down untill you see your icon, to the right of your icon click brouse button then select you icon from your desktop then click open.[/li][/ul]
[ul] [li]scrolldown and click make profile changes.[/li][/ul]
[signature]
Lessee if it's better...
[signature]
I do believe that's got it--muchas gracias [cool]
[signature]
Your welcome..
[signature]
Regarding the powder paint, I am having some difficulty with it clumping up, and being too thick on my spoons/blades. I have varied the degree to which I heat them, but regardless, there is always a thick powdery coat that is half melted, half stuck on to the lure part. So I have then heated again when removed from the powder, after I have attempted (unsuccessfully) to shake the excess powder from the part, until all the powder paint melts and smooths out. This leaves too thick of a coat however. Could this be the type of powder paint I am using?

This would be okay for jigheads, but it looks gawdy on spoons and blades [Sad]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The first container of powder paint I bought is still sitting on my paint shelf...with only two jig heads worth of material missing. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That stuff has a place, for large lures or other pieces of metal, but is more trouble than it is worth for making small stuff. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As you have seen, I get a much better end result and more control by using a system of vinyl paints and glitters.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I know that a lot of lure makers have worked with it a have refined their techniques and can turn out some nice stuff. But, I already have a system that works for me and I don't like to swim upstream.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thank you! I will simply turn around and drift with the current, then.
[signature]