Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Davy's knot
I am guessing here so bear with this newbie.. but if you look at this [url "http://myweb.cableone.net/stairway/index_flyfishingknots.html"]surgeons loop[/url] link and then imagine you have the fly on first before you make the first overhand knot.. then bring thru overhand knot a second time.. and at this point keep the fly centered in the loop as you slowly tighten it down to the size loop you want...

I hope this is correct.. I think I understand what sis means.. but again.. I am new to this..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Just came up from my test bench and had a problem with the surgeon knot holding. Was using a 2/0 hook and 18lb mono. Much easier on the eyes. Well after I fastened & cinched down on the knot I proceed to give it a good test. At first it held but they with a little more pressure the line started to pull through the knot. Then I switched to the other tag end and the same thing happened. Pray tell what is old Dryrod doing wrong? [Tongue]I asked new Dryrod but he doesn't know Jack, or Pete or Billy Bob. So it is up to you FGD and Scruffy_Fly to solve the mystery.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#000080][size 3]dont ya hate when it looks like it makes sense... looks like it worked.. that you can feel good that you have learned something new to pass on to the next generation.. and then POOF...it all goes to HE77 in a HANDBASKET... ya look and feel da fool.. egg on your face and the worst thing is that dadblum fish that is swimming away thumbing his dorsal fin at you and yelling bububle bubble bububle (fish for na ne na ne boo boo) at you ... must be Friday the 13th or something like that....[mad]

MacFly [cool]
[/size][/#000080][/font]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi MacFly55 - that is exactly how I would/did tie on the surgeon loop. My question was related to what FDG said Pass the fly through the loop. I don't know what she meant by that statement. I will have to wait until she gets home from fishing all day again.[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Easy as tying your shoe lace.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Pass the leader thru the eye of the fly.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Hold the fly in one hand, and double the leader back on itself with the other hand.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Tie a "regular" knot, and when complete, pass the leader and fly thru the knot again.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Adjust the knot location, add moisture and tighten.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]There, you have tied a surgeon's loop. Size of the loop doesn't matter, but with experience, the loop will get smaller.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Before reading your post Saberfish I realized that with the first two knots [that pulled apart] I only passed the line through the eye only twice. The third time I passed through three times. This time the knot held to the point that the line broke first. I tried your method SF and that knot held really good. But to me it didn't resemble a surgeons knot. I use the surgeon's knot quite frequently so I am not a stranger to it's appearance. Think that I will stay with the Davy knot for now. Another knot that is super strong is the bowline. Will give that a try next.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I like the Trilene knot. It is also 100% dependent on the line and not the Knot.[cool]
[signature]
I thought FG said she used the surgeons loop (not knot) so that the fly has a more "natural" movement to it.....my look on it is to do one overhand knot followed by a second one thru the loop you just made.. and then slowly pull the fly tight while adjusting the final size of the loop.. at least that is what I think FG meant.. course .. I am not her and I certainly dont have her experience....[Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
.....and I thought Id get at least one good chuckle out of someone with the fish saying na ne na ne boo boo... [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Yea she mentioned the loop .. just tied a few and I like it but it comes out kinked off center.. hmmmm.. maybe I'm just splitting hairs again.

oh Mac ... I was laughing on the inside [Wink]
[signature]
[sly]... the Sad part is is that I am speaking from experience on seeing waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many fishing swimming away laughing at me... [laugh]

kinky and off center.. now. isnt being kinky being off center...[laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Well... depends what ones definition of "kinky" IS [Tongue][laugh][laugh]

sounds like you need a better fish call, mac [Tongue][Wink]
[signature]
There you go bro![mad] You teaching my SoCal neighbor to be kinky??[shocked]

I'm sure you meant it in a good way[cool]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][blush]Oh surgeons loop! No wonder the few I had tied didn't resemble the surgeons knot. Sorry all, for the confusion. Thanks MacFly55 for bringing that to my attention.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
It seems like the newbies can teach us veterans to pay more attention to careful wording and terminology.[cool]

If the neighbor gets out of hand, he is closer to you than me so you can reach out and get him with the flyswatter.[shocked]
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Heck yes. Not only newbies but new borns too.[Tongue][/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
Newbies, new borns, Born agains and those who refuse to die.

Those are all on the watchout list.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Going to hire MacFly55 as my proof reader. He was the only one that picked up on my faux pas. Would have to let him know up front that the salary might not meet his expectations. LOL[Wink][/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I t tsafe hink I will take the safe route and not comment any further on this kinky concept.. [sly]
[signature]
isnt there an old saying bout teaching old dogs new tricks... lol.. or not being able to teach them...

MacFly
[signature]